Indian Air Force's C-130J Super Hercules transport aircraft is on stand-by at the Hindan airbase near Delhi for bringing back bodies of Indian-origin persons who lost their lives in a fire incident in Kuwait, Defence officials said on Thursday.
Kirti Vardhan Singh on Thursday arrived in Kuwait and immediately rushed to Jaber Hospital to ascertain well well-being of Indians who had been injured in the fire incident in Mangaf area on Wednesday.
After a special cabinet meeting held this morning, the Chief Minister Pinaray Vijayan-led government announced an ex gratia of Rs 5 lakh for the families of the deceased and Rs 1 lakh for those who were injured in the June 12 mishap in Kuwati's city of Al-Mangaf.
Around 40 Indians are understood to have died, and over 50 are injured in a tragic fire incident at a labour housing facility in the Mangaf area of Kuwait on Wednesday, the Ministry of External Affairs said, adding the injured are being treated in five government hospitals in Kuwait.
The Chief Minister said that he has directed the Tamil Nadu Welfare and Rehabilitation Commission to collect information about whether there are any workers from Tamil Nadu.
Before leaving for Kuwait in order to take a stock of the situation there, the Union Minister of State for External Affairs, Kirti Vardhan Singh said that the victims are mostly burn victims and some of the bodies have been charred beyond recognition. He further added that the rest of the