Despite facing many challenges, the NDRF personnel have successfully recovered 6 out of 24 bodies so far from the coal mine site at Mysyngat of Thangsko area in Meghalaya's East Jaintia Hills district.
The death toll in Meghalaya's East Jaintia Hills coal mine blast incident has risen to 27 as two bodies were recovered during rescue operations, a National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) official said.
Meghalaya Minister Lahkmen Rymbui on Friday confirmed that the death toll in the East Jaintia Hills coal mine incident has risen to 19, while eight others remain injured.
One more body has been recovered by NDRF, SDRF, and SRT teams from the coal mine in Meghalaya's East Jaintia Hills district today, bringing the total number of recovered bodies to 19.
The NDRF, SDRF and Search & Rescue (SRT) teams of Meghalaya Fire & Emergency Services have so far recovered 18 bodies from the coal mine where several people were trapped following an explosion at Mysyngat at Jaintia Hills district.
A National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) team on Friday arrived at the blast site in Thangskai area of Meghalaya's East Jaintia Hills to carry out rescue and recovery operations after an explosion in an illegal rat-hole coal mine that claimed 18 lives.
Speaking to ANI on Thursday, the Congress MP described the incident as a deeply saddening event for both the affected families and the government. He emphasised that illegal mining continues to be a serious issue in the region.
Speaking to ANI on Thursday about the recent coal mine accident in Meghalaya's East Jaintia Hills district, Reddy noted that Meghalaya has no government-operated coal mines and that no coal block has been auctioned so far. Neither the public sector nor commercial coal mining exists in the
President Droupadi Murmu on Thursday condoled the loss of lives in a coal mine accident in Meghalaya's East Jaintia Hills district, calling the incident painful .
The Chief Minister announced that the Meghalaya government will provide an ex gratia of Rs 3 lakh to the next of kin of the deceased. Earlier, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced ex-gratia worth Rs 2 lakh each for the families of 18 victims who lost their lives in the tragic Meghalaya
"Individuals who are involved in any illegal activities, action will be taken. Whoever is responsible for this incident will face very strict action. We will not let go of anybody who is involved in this," Sangma said while addressing a press conference.