One person was killed and a security personnel was injured in an attack when unknown militants opened fire on a girls' school in Pakistan's South Waziristan on Thursday, according to Dawn. The attack took place in a school in the Azam Warsak area of the South Waziristan district.
This comes as officials of the Department of Education in Farah said that around 3,500 female students are studying in 19 seminaries in the province, reported Tolo News.
Earlier in September, Human Rights Watch urged the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) not to extend the existing government officials' travel exemption as a result of the closure of girls' schools in Afghanistan and the Taliban's atrocities against women and girls in the war-torn nation.
While directing the officers, Chief Minister Dhami said, "3 thousand vacant posts of class IV should be filled through the establishment of residential girls' schools on the lines of Rajiv Gandhi Navodaya Vidyalaya in every district and through outsourced schools and damaged school buildi
Tribal elders in Nimroz province of Afghanistan called out the Taliban to reopen schools for girls above the sixth grade and said that depriving young girls of education is not in the interest of the country, TOLO news reported.
A girls' school in Gilgit-Baltistan's Diamer district was torched early on Tuesday. According to Dawn newspaper, local officials have held "terrorists" responsible for this reprehensible act and have promised to rebuild the school along with providing security to educational institutions.
A social media campaign called "Let Afghan Girls Learn" is doing the rounds in Afghanistan to call out the Taliban to immediately open the gates of secondary and high schools for girls in the country.
So far, no group has claimed the responsibility. Islamists, no matter which sect they belong to, are extremely opposed to giving girls' access to education in Gilgit Baltistan.
Residents of Day Mirdad district in the southern part of Maidan Wardak Province of Afghanistan demanded the establishment of girls' schools in the province and called for the reopening of schools for girls above sixth grade across the country.
Kabul [Afghanistan], September 19 (ANI): As the closure of schools for girls in Afghanistan completed one year on Sunday, the Charge d'Affaires of Kabul's Permanent Mission to the United Nations, Naseer Ahmad Faiq said denying the girls their basic rights to education is "national treason
Kabul [Afghanistan], September 17 (ANI): About ninety per cent of voters in Afghanistan supported the reopening of schools for girls beyond grade six, and 10 per cent opposed the decision, as per an online poll conducted by Afghanistan's local media outlet TOLO news.