Brazil's Supreme Court has decided not to arrest former President Jair Bolsonaro for now, after warning he may have violated a social media ban. Justice Alexandre de Moraes called the incident "isolated" but warned future violations would lead to arrest, Al Jazeera reported.
The U.S. revoked the visa of Brazilian judge Alexandre de Moraes over his actions against ex-President Bolsonaro, escalating tensions with Brazil. Moraes had ordered Bolsonaro to wear an ankle monitor and face restrictions, prompting U.S. criticism. The Washington Post reported ongoing dispu
US President Donald Trump has threatened a 50% tariff on Brazilian goods over the trial of ex-President Bolsonaro, calling it a "Witch Hunt." Brazil vowed to retaliate. Trump also announced a 50% copper tariff citing national security. Several countries face similar trade threats amid ongoin
In the letter written to Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva on Wednesday (local time), Trump said he knew and worked with Bolsonaro and respected him greatly.
Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva on Thursday disclosed an alleged attempt to poison him and Vice President Geraldo Alckmin just days before he assumed office in 2022, Reuters reported.
Former Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro was hospitalised for the second time in Manaus (AM) on Sunday to treat a bout of erysipelas, a type of skin infection, Brazil's online newspaper Metropoles reported.
Thousands of Bolsonaro's supporters, adorned in the green and gold of Brazil's national flag, gathered on Paulista Avenue, a key thoroughfare in the nation's largest city, to express solidarity amid growing legal challenges.
At least nine people have been killed in a police raid in the city of Rio de Janeiro, as a result of law enforcement activity in the city’s poor favela neighbourhoods, Al Jazeera reported citing the Brazilian authorities.
Calling the highest electoral court's decision a "stab in the back", former President Jair Bolsonaro vowed to appeal at the Supreme Court against the ruling which bars him from public office till 2030.
The former president was found guilty by five out of seven judges, effectively ending any hope of a political comeback in the forthcoming 2026 election. Two of the judges voted against the decision, which prevents Bolsonaro from running for public office for eight years.
The official website of the Brazilian armed forces said General Julio Cesar de Arruda had been removed as head of the army. He was replaced by General Tomas Miguel Ribeiro Paiva, who was head of the Southeast Military Command.
The decision follows the removal of 40 military officers on Tuesday from the Alvorada presidential residence, as Lula expressed his distrust in the military for failing to act against supporters of former President Jair Bolsonaro who stormed government buildings on January 8.